Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Year!

Greetings! Wow, I haven't blogged here in a while. This seems to be a recurring theme in my life right now!
For a while, I was planning to transition this blog to WordPress but I think I am not going to because my other blogs are on blogger and it is convenient to have them all together.
We have been busy this morning packing away the Christmas decorations. It is always a good feeling to get the house put back together.  Here is a picture of the dining room.


Here is a picture of Lucy in her favorite spot. Yes, we actually bought that Ottoman specifically for her so that she can watch out the front window. She thinks she is in charge of the whole block.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fall and Halloween Decor Pics 2013


Fall and Halloween 2013



























Brass Lamp Paint Project Upcycle

Wow, another long absence for me! Talk about a lazy summer! 

One of the things I hated about our bedroom was the lamps. I love the fact that they give incredible light which I LOVE for reading, however I hated the old, dated brass finish. I told my husband last weekend that I intended to paint the lamps. He gave me that "are you crazy?" look at first but after I explained the procedure and that lots of people on Pinterest have done it, he was on board. We went to Walmart and bought a can of spray on metal primer and 2 cans of a white satin Rust-Oleum  we have to lose, it can only be an improvement. I thought about different colors but ultimately chose white because of it's versatility.

Mask any areas of the lamp that you do not want painted.
1. Spray in well ventilated area.
2. Prime with the spray on metal primer.
3. After priming, spray your chosen color of Rust-Oleum
 within 45 minutes or you will need to wait until 48 hours AFTER.
4. We left the lamps in the garage for a couple of days to dry completely and for the paint smell to subside.


Here is the before picture:




Here is the after picture:


My next project and/or purchase will be the  shades!

Monday, June 10, 2013

Homemade Soap.

Gosh, it has been a while since I posted on this blog. I am going to try to do better now that school is out for the summer- we have several projects planned.

Recently, Kevin and I found an awesome soap recipe from Sarah and Tiffany at Offbeat and Inspired. What a wonderful blog! Love it! Can't wait to try some more  recipes. They all look fantastic! Here is  picture of ours:


Talk to you soon.  . .

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Homemade Chalk Paint Project

I have just completed my first project using chalk paint. I have ordered some Annie Sloan chalk paint but in the meantime decided to do over a small bench using a homemade chalk paint recipe. Here is the recipe I used:(my project was quite small so I made a little batch)

1 Cup Latex Flat Paint
2 Tablespoons Plaster of Paris
2 Tablespoons of Water

I mixed the Plaster of Paris and water first until smooth before adding it to the paint.


Here are some pictures of my project:




Due to the weather we had at the time, it actually dried a few days in between the painting and sanding.
I decided to sand before applying wax because it was little and we were outside. 

We sanded it and then applied the wax.
Here is the finished product. . .
I'm so happy with how it turned out. It looks really cute in the house.



I am excited to try out the Annie Sloan chalk paint. Mine will arrive this week. 
However, the homemade chalk paint did work out fine for this small project.

I'm linking up with Making the World Cuter!

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Painted Mason Jars

I know this is crazy, but I love Mason Jars. I even have a board on Pinterest devoted to jar projects. I have noticed that painting mason jars is currently popular and I just had to try it out for myself. I love the simple and shabby look!

I bought 3 colors of  craft paint at Walmart. I wanted to go with a neutral color scheme.



I already had jars at home. Since I had purchased the small sized paints, I used pint jars.


I used one bottle of paint per jar. I squeezed a generous amount (most of the bottle) into the bottom of each jar and then picked the jar up tilting it sideways and rolled slowly to cover the sides.


 Once the paint had covered most of the inside of the jar I turned it upside down, which covered the last bit of the rim and also allowed the excess paint to drain. 


Once the excess paint had drained out, I turned the jars right side up to dry.


Here is how they look on the table!




I'm linking up with:
 skiptomylou.org
craft-o-maniac.com/